Monday, July 23, 2012

Waterlogged

I am tired of being wet. I knew that this was monsoon season in Nepal, but I don't think I fully grasped what that meant. It means every day is cloudy, and every day it rains. Some days it just sprinkles, other days it pours. I know this now.

Something I've been thinking about lately is the rain. Frankly, I haven't been thinking about it in a positive light. I've been griping. You can just ask Kelsie. I just haven't had a good attitude. But it has recently occurred to me that rain creates growth. Life thrives through consistent rain. And let me tell you, life is thriving here in Nepal, here in Pokhara. Every morning on my walk to the bakery I am offered taxi rides, a fresh pastry covered in dirty newspaper, or a smoke of hashish (Nepali marijuana). Every afternoon as we head to do ministry the people around us are flying by on bicycles, scooters, motorcycles, cars, buses, rickshaws, and tractors, with their horns a-blaring and their brakes a-squealing. Every evening as we go out for dinner we hear the sound of a fire being started and the cooks at hard at work to prepare our favorite dishes of hot momo, fresh naan, veg curry and chicken chow mein. Life is thriving here. People seems genuinely happier and more content then in the States. Perhaps its because in Nepal they are constantly rained on for several months every year. It causes growth. I'm starting to wish it would rain more in Saint Cloud. I'd love to see more growth in people there.

It's really hot now. I wish it would rain to cool things down.

No comments:

Post a Comment