Friday, June 22, 2012

Training Camp, Cabana Wizard

Two weeks have flown by in the blink of an eye. Senior Staff week was more relaxed but still training. I found out that I am in charge of our FOOD for the summer. Which to be perfectly honest I wasn't terribly excited about. I am looking forward to doing meals in Nepal but not so much here in Wisconsin. This is our first year at the new land and with that comes a slew of health codes and laws in regards to meals. We get to cook out of really nice, wooden cabanas now but we also must continually wash and glove our hands / and guard our hair with hats and bandanas. As I like to say, "Don't be weird, guard your beard!"

Food is going to be a great experience for me, and very stretching. Job and I have already a couple of discussions on the fact that I need to stop jumping into the fray and I need to sit back and delegate more responsibilities. I was speaking with my good friend Dennis yesterday, who led Barnabas in 2009 (I ran meals for that team as well), and when I reminded him about that summer the first words out of his mouth were "The biggest problem was getting you to delegate!" So, I have a problem managing. I like doing things my way because I know I can get them done. The real issue, I think, is a lack of trusting the people God has given me to supervise. If I can begin trusting them to do what I ask then I can feel comfortable keeping my hands off. Which will be necessary if I am to keep myself from burning out this summer.

Pray that I release my iron grip on control of our meals to God.
Because he is a better cabana wizard than I.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're a control freak...

    You get that from me...

    Sorry...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete